Thursday, November 27, 2008

Mikan!


I got my first gift in work today!

My area is famous in Japan for producing mikan - they're really sweet mandarin oranges. They're particularly easy to peel and have very little pith. The whole town and surrounding area is filled with mikan trees, which have slowly been turning orange since I arrived.

Above is a picture of my very first mikan. I was given a whole bag of them (maybe 20, you can see half of them in the background of the photo) by one of the mothers in the school. I'm happy to report that even though I generally don't like oranges, this one was delicious. I've eaten half the bag already and now my keyboard is all sticky. Yum.

It was a nice gift, they sell here for 4 dollars for a bag of 6, I'm sure they're more expensive elsewhere in Japan.

It's the very start of the season so hopefully I'll get a few more bags for free. When they're on all the trees around my apartment I just can't justify spending so much on them.

Oh, and for those that celebrate it - Happy Thanksgiving! (I had beef on rice... no oven here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment